View Single Post
Old
04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
It could also bite them long term. I mean, what is Lincecum going to ask for now, 10/300? Bumgarner in a few years, who has undeniably more talent than Cain? I mean, good for the Giants if they are putting more money into the team but a team spending 118 million (last year's payroll) should not spend almost 20% on Matt Cain. Granted Zito's contract is up soon but their prospect pool is weakened by trades (like Wheeler for Beltran, fail) or the graduation of guys like Posey, Bumgarner and Belt. Like I said before, he's not a top 15 pitcher in the league and he's getting paid as more than that. The team has a downright embarrassing lineup which could use an infusion of talent. Then again, they had a terrible lineup when they won the WS 2 years ago with a bunch of randoms getting hot like Cody Ross so maybe they think they can do it again. They certainly have a rock-solid 1-2-3 punch. I see them finishing 2nd in the division behind the DBacks this year but wouldn't be surprised if they finished 1st or 3rd.
I understand all of that. As I said, I get both sides of the argument. Back ends of pitchers' contracts are always the question mark, but they're a necessary evil if you want to sign the guy. They're trying to win with pitching and hoping the return of Posey and the full-time play of Belt will make the offense good enough to get them to the playoffs.

I think this brings up the debate of whether you pay big bucks for consistency, or pay it for upside. In all likelihood, Bumgarner is going to be extremely good, but there are no guarantees in pitching: Mark Prior was considered one of the biggest can't-miss pitching prospects of my generation, and that didn't turn out well. If you think Cain can continue to give you 200+ innings and put up the other numbers that he does, I don't think you have much of an issue paying him this money. I think the Lincecum market is completely independent of Cain's, as he's in another stratosphere.

As a sidenote, I'm a Mets fan ( ) and the Wheeler-for-Beltran deal is one of the few things I've been able to feel good about in the last few years.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote