04-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...montreal&hl=en

The Montreal Gazette - March 4th, 1969:

Quote:
Esposito Sets Record

It could be that the two game suspension Phil Esposito drew for shoving an official helped him. He picked up enough points over the weekend to run his point total to 101, a new league record, which is money in the bank for him because nobody keeps a guy who sets records off the First All-Star team. He had aching feet when he drew the suspension and the rest must have done him good.

"My feet only hurt when I'm standing still," cracked Esposito, who is not without humor.

"Conditions didn't demand much of him in Chicago where he was always under the shadow of Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita, a couple of great players. They were years ahead of him and were established team leaders...

Bobby Hull was aware of Esposito's potential and was openly critical of the trade that took him from Chicago to Boston. Esposito had pivoted the line that Hull played on and, when he was no longer there, Hull missed him. It's doubtful if even Milt Schmidt expected that trade to work out as well as it has.
- didn't know that Hull had openly criticized the Esposito trade at the time. Bobby often made life tough for his coaches and GMs.

- it's easy to forget that Milt Schmidt had a second career as a great GM, and was the principal architect of the 70's Bruins. I believe he acquired Cheevers and Green in trades, as well, and I know he traded for Vadnais. I know we don't draft GMs here, but Schmidt was a legitimately great one.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote