View Single Post
Old
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Hold on here. You're totally confusing what point I'm trying to make. I'm talking about running a team by giving money to the right players. Do I think he's a good player? Yes. But he's not worth that much. I'd rather pay a guy who goes 18-8 $22m per year, yes. That helps me get to the playoffs more than a guy who goes 13-11.

This isn't about Cain being a good player. It's about allocating the resources you have. Same reason I think Miller is overpaid at $6.3m per season.

The Giants aren't the Sox or Yankees. They can't afford this guy down the line when they have a terrible offense.

You'd prefer a guy with stats other than wins. I'd prefer wins. That's all we're disagreeing on.
Your exact statement was "wins are the most important stat" and that's what I argued. It probably doesn't crack the top 10 in important stats for pitchers when you look at sabrmetrics. ERA, WHIP, QS, FIP, xFIP, WAR, WPA, RAR, ERA+ all are better indicators and that's off the top of my head, and 6 of those (ERA, WHIP, Quality Starts,WAR, ERA+, FIP) are all relatively mainstream now. I can explain how each of those are better if you want.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote