View Single Post
Old
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I understand all of that. As I said, I get both sides of the argument. Back ends of pitchers' contracts are always the question mark, but they're a necessary evil if you want to sign the guy. They're trying to win with pitching and hoping the return of Posey and the full-time play of Belt will make the offense good enough to get them to the playoffs.

I think this brings up the debate of whether you pay big bucks for consistency, or pay it for upside. In all likelihood, Bumgarner is going to be extremely good, but there are no guarantees in pitching: Mark Prior was considered one of the biggest can't-miss pitching prospects of my generation, and that didn't turn out well. If you think Cain can continue to give you 200+ innings and put up the other numbers that he does, I don't think you have much of an issue paying him this money. I think the Lincecum market is completely independent of Cain's, as he's in another stratosphere.

As a sidenote, I'm a Mets fan ( ) and the Wheeler-for-Beltran deal is one of the few things I've been able to feel good about in the last few years.
Right, I get it too, just a poor allocation of money imo. The Giants are idiots; I bet you they don't play Belt full-time again. He's so much better than their alternatives but struggles to get playing time for them. But don't worry, keep trotting Aubrey Huff and the like out there over Belt.

Sorry about that, the organization is in shambles and being a Braves fan I love it. But yes, getting Wheeler was great for them.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote