Thread: Tired of it
View Single Post
Old
04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Yeah i agree fighting alone is not going to get a player benched and probably hasnt but i think the guys are a little tight worried about getting scratched or moved lines if they mess up.
SOME guys have to worry about being scratched. Not everyone. It took a long time to healthy scratch Tootoo...and he's had quite a few questionable plays (mainly with the puck, rather than penalty-wise) to warrant that.

Guys who have to worry about being scratched nightly:
-Matt Halischuk (for some strange reason)
-Brian McGrattan
-Craig Smith
-Brandon Yip
-Ryan Ellis
-Jack Hillen
-Francis Bouillon

Mostly rookies and borderline NHLers. I didn't include Wilson, because there is still some question if he has truly been a healthy scratch for all of these recent games. I think there are only a handful of players Trotz will play if they aren't close to 100%. Bouillon is usually a starter, but he's usually the first to go if Trotz wants to use Ellis or Hillen.

Guys who might be scratched if they make dumb penalties, their production tails off, or they lose focus:
-Gabriel Bourque*
-Nick Spaling
-Jordin Tootoo
-Colin Wilson
-Roman Josi

*Considering Bourque has been a regular fixture since the addition of Gaustad, Kostitsyn, and Radulov, I'd say it's safe to say he has earned a spot in the lineup at this point.

Guys that won't be scratched if they are 100% healthy:
-Martin Erat
-Mike Fisher
-Paul Gaustad
-Patric Hornqvist
-Andrei Kostitsyn
-Sergei Kostitsyn
-David Legwand
-Alex Radulov
-Hal Gill
-Kevin Klein
-Ryan Suter
-Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Wilson is not going to get any better and learn his role defensively sitting on the bench. It takes scars and ice time to do that. The same goes with Smith he is not going to be learning anything sitting on the bench. If the guy had goals for every time he hit the post he would be up in rankings with the other rookies.
Sure him or Wilson are not the greatest defensively but i do not find are current roster doing much on stopping people either with the exception of the Detroit game.
I think Wilson and Smith are very different cases. While they might be the same age...Wilson has a season and a half of NHL experience on Smith. I think Smith is just having the typical struggles a rookie has. He just happens to be having them towards the end of the season rather than the beginning.

Wilson has a bit less of an excuse, but I agree it's not helping him to be riding the pine. It just happens that this is a time of year where we have to be focused on winning, not player development.

As of right now, I would make the argument that the team is better with Bourque and Halischuk over the more talented Wilson and Smith. Smith will be fine...but he'll probably not see a whole lot of ice time until next October. Wilson....could be back at any time...but I do wonder if he'll become trade bait in the off season.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote