View Single Post
Old
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
foshizzle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wouldn't want him on a uber strict workout regimen this young anyway. I think a lot of players make that mistake. Also for hockey players being that versatility, movement, exacting fine motor control are essential keys (and much more so than most sports) that I question how much physical change fo the body impacts a players overall on ice efficacy.

You could look at Moreau, Horcoff, Cogs, Souray, as recent examples of the teams workout kings that beat all in a gym. How much has it really helped their game?

I worry sometimes what some of these extreme training camps actually do to a players game.

Players like Smyth, Hemsky, have never had a need for this stuff.
I agree 100% Replacement. I don't understand why so many players are training this way- most of their time should be on ice skill and that needs to be supplemented with strength training- key word "strength". I had the honor of meeting Barry Ross- a brilliant sprint coach- and his athletes are extremely strong, extremely fast and well trained. He spends minimal time in the weight room- couple of sets of deadlifts, some presses and thats it. When i asked about improving my game he said "if you want to get better at skating, shooting passing- practice skating shooting, passing". You aren't going to imrpove your skills in the weight room. Apparently- a few NHL teams have contacted him.

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote