View Single Post
Old
04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Disagree very strongly on the basic player evaluation of Wandell. He actually has very good puck-handling skills. How many players on this team are capable of bringing the puck into the offensive zone and shooting the puck on goal? You've seen the team get even worse as his presence has been missed. Calling him a below-average 4th liner is ludicrous, especially when there are plenty of other below-average 4th liners that have been employed by the Stars -- you ought to be able to recognize what they look like. Clearly Wandell is not a top-6 forward -- I said he could fill-in with the top-6 and be a better choice than the others Gulutzan has used, primarily Burish. This is a coaching/personnel problem. Wandell should also be used extensively killing penalties. Just another missed opportunity to advance your own players' development thanks to poor internal evaluation.
When I watch other teams play, I don't ever find myself thinking that Wandell would be an upgrade on the fourth line of many or really any teams. He's a warm body. He's nothing special, even in his limited role. He could be replaced next year, and you'd never notice.