View Single Post
Old
04-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Inner Turbulence

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Voynov has definitely shown a lot of potential this year. But let us not crown him the #1 defenseman just yet.

I’ll probably be in the minority, but I dont think Doughty has had a particularly poor season. He started slowly due to the lack of a camp, but he’s been the #1 guy playing 24+ minutes (or more) in all situations on one of the top defensive teams in the league. I would like to have seen another 10-15 points to his name, obviously, but we can say that about a lot of players. Given the offensive struggles the first half of the season and the dysfunctional Powerplay I dont think a ~40 point is that bad. I think he’ll have more points next year.

Voynov has shown a terrific ability to jump in on plays and finish them. Whether he can sustain that is another matter. Other teams will start paying more attention to his movements. That is how it usually goes. New players burst onto the scene, the league adjusts and adapts to them and their style … then it’s up to the players to take it to another level and find new ways to be productive. I hope he can find a way. But I think he can. One of the things that has impressed me the most is that he’s been putting up ”BIG” goals in tight games. That makes me optimistic for his future.

Defensively, I think Voynov still has some way to go. His stick work could (and will) improve, and he can be overpowered physically.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote