View Single Post
Old
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Redwic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
I mean right now. Compare him to Murray and Dumba.

My opinion is that he is not the player that either of them are.

The next question is do you believe that either Murray or Dumba is NHL ready?

I have a minority opinion here in that I believe Dumba is closer than Murray but my guess is that Dumba is probably not.

Jones, should he continue to develop as he fills out and gets some consistency with his speed is going to be a very good NHL defenseman - in three or four years.
I have watched Ryan Murray play in the WHL since he arrived. IMO, he is the most talented defenseman to come into that league as a rookie in at least a decade, and I have seen quite a few great rookie defensemen enter that league. The most amazing thing about that is Murray actually fell to the Everett Silvertips in the Bantam Draft... their pre-planned picks had all been chosen and Murray was basically just the best player available on the draft boards. NOBODY knew at that time he would be that good/this good. He far surpassed the defensemen chosen before him.

As for the Dumba vs. Murray debate, I do agree that you have the minority opinion about Dumba being more pro-ready than Murray. I strongly believe Murray is better, right now. Heck, he was chosen as Captain of Team Canada in a tournament when he was only 16YO! However, as good as he is right now, Murray also needs to get stronger. In contrast, Dumba needs to get a lot better with his passing.

It all really depends upon what type of defenseman a team is looking for. Dumba is the type who would excel in a system where he gets to strong-check the opposition into the boards and with open-ice hits to stop offensive pressure by the opposition; he is better as a stay-at-home defenseman. Murray is the type who would excel in a system where he gets to make passes, distribute the puck, and command power plays and penalty kills; he is better as an offensive defenseman.

Looking at the bottom-dwellers of the NHL right now... I think Murray would fit in well with a team like Edmonton, which has a lot of young scoring talent but not really someone who can distribute to that talent from the blueline. I think Dumba would fit in well with a team like Toronto, which has invested a lot in sucky defensemen and really needs a strong-checking upgrade.