View Single Post
Old
04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Guys, if the Kings changed their system to score goals they'd be giving up a lot more goals and they're not. The system was tweaked somewhat to allow our defensemen to be more involved. Kings hold the puck longer, move the puck quicker and turn it over less. The line combos changed/were solidified once Carter got here, which is the biggest impact Carter has made, because offensively, his results have been no great shakes. He's had 6 goals in 16 games (not horrible at all - 30 goal pace), 2 of which though were empty netters and he had a 2-goal game which is great, but all that means is he's scored meaningful goals in 3 of the 16 games he's played in LA. Not all that impressive.

I like the guy, don't get me wrong, he has an all around game and I think he will eventually be a huge player for the Kings. But the Kings benefited far more from Sutter loosening the reigns on the defense and from DB's name being floated around in trade rumors than anything Carter has done.

Kings are a hot team, no doubt, but they were so bad for 61 games all their late season hot goal scoring ways wasn't going to change the overall much. They need 1 point and fewer than 10 goals in their last 2 games to be the worst scoring team in NHL history to make the playoffs, and again, they can thank JQ32 for this.
You're not putting enough stock into what a guy like Carter does to the opposing team. Even if he doesn't score, the other team is always aware of him and they can't just think about shutting down 1 line. Hes also done things that don't show on a scoreboard, like catching up to Richie for the 2 on 1 that led to Richie getting the SHG. If he hadn't have hustled it would have been a one on one instead of a 2 on 1. And by Richie I mean Richards, not Richardson, old habits die hard!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote