View Single Post
Old
04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Here's a golden oldie for long (and I mean long) time Ranger fans.

Stanley Cup playoffs 1967. First time they make the playoffs in four years and the first playoff game for me as a Ranger fan.

Game One, first round in Montreal.

Score with 13 minutes to go: Rangers 4 Montreal 1.

In those prehistoric days, pre-cable, games were on local TV (channel 9 I think) and this game was on tape delay because the Mets were broadcasting a spring training game. Thinking that we had the game won, I turned on the radio to one of the local news stations (no all sports radio in those days) where they gave scores at :15 and :45 after the hour. My idea was to hear the final score and enjoy the last 13 minutes without tension.

Score I heard from the radio: Montreal 5 Rangers 4. I honestly though they made a mistake after I picked myself up off of the floor. Had to watch 13 minutes of sheer brutal play. Frustration doesn't do it justice.

Here's another from the same series. Game 4 at the old MSG, Rangers down 3 game to 0 (actually on the same day that Tom Seaver made his Mets debut).

Great game, up and down the ice wide open game featuring two great young goalies (Eddie Giacomin and Rogie Vachon). Score at the end of regulation: 1-1

A few minutes into OT, Rangers Red Berenson (yes the same guy who is the great college coast) comes up the left wing and blasts a slap shot from the blue line. It gets by Vachon but clangs off of the post. I can still see it and hear it 45 years later. In the next minute or so, John Ferguson scores in a goal mouth scramble and we go home for the summer.

Its true that the oldest and first memories stick around the longest. I've never forgotten the devastating feeling of hearing the score from game 1 on the radio.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote