View Single Post
Old
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
A year in the NCAA, followed by a year in the AHL would be the optimal development choice for him. imho of course.
Correct, that gives Jones and the team that drafts him the most options. He can go to camp (if he chooses to sign) and then the NHL team has the option to keep him up or let him play quality minutes in their own organization, as a lot of AHL teams play a similar system to their parent team. He could in theory also be sent to Everett by his NHL team if he falls flat on his face in camp or in the AHL (like the Leafs did with Jerry D'Amigo). But I'm sure part of an agreement to get him to leave college would be that he can't be assigned to a junior team.

And like I mentioned in my previous post, this is a big kid. This isn't some 5'9 forward putting up a million points in junior who isn't strong enough for the NHL but to young for the AHL. He will not be physically overpowered in the AHL. It may take him a bit to get adjusted to the speed of the game, but physically he has the tools.

Edit: The one downside to drafting him out of college is that he pulls a Jack Johnson and decides he loves college so much he wants to stay another year. So his NHL team would only have him for the summer rookie camp and not the main camp.

Last edited by Herby: 04-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.