View Single Post
Old
02-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=technophile]On an odd-man break your job is to prevent a pass, period.

Techno is right, I should have added that but I didn't want to get long winded. If you can keep the pass from happening then the goalie knows who the shooter is and can handle him, just give him a clean look and don't let a last second pass go across the crease.
Defense is a lot about timing and feel. I think it's actually easier to play defense after you've been a forward for a while. The easiest way to prevent something from happening is to know what is going to happen. If you've been a wing or a center then you know what a wing and a center want to do and what they want their linemates to do. I would recommend that everyone play all positions if possible. Same holds true for a defenseman when his team is on offense. When you carry the puck around the net you know where the wing is supposed to be if you used to be the wing who was waiting in the right spot or the center who was circling out of the zone waiting for an outlet pass.
Like I said in my previous post, use your bench time to learn. If you are on a team with 3 lines then 2/3 of your game is spent on the bench. Use that time wisely and learn. Learn what you are supposed to do and learn what others are supposed to do. Hockey moves quickly, and the faster your brain can process all the information thrown at it the quicker you can make the moves that will make your game better. Take the guess work out of your game and KNOW what you want to do.