View Single Post
Old
04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Chili

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweenie View Post
I would say injuries have been one of the biggest issues with this organization. But the Canadiens aren't cursed, Last year the Pens made the playoffs and a good part of the year was spent without Crosby or Malkin. This year they didn't have Crosby for most of the season. If we lost DD and Plekanec next year 72 points might look pretty good. There is certainly a lack of depth in the organization, and you can't really quick fix that. The opening day roster can be patched easily but if you lose 2 key players with no strong youth or solid veterans to replace them you wind up icing a weak team. For years that was the case with Markov, but he isn't as important as he was 3 years ago.

I agree with many posters saying we should give the youth on this team more time to develop before rushing them up to the big club. Pacioretty asked last year to play a top 6 role in Hamilton rather than a bottom 6 role here. Would like to see more of that with Leblanc, Whoever our first is this year, Tinordi etc. The top performing players can come up for a cup of coffee when injuries happen, but I'd still rather see bottom 6 players in the bottom 6 rather than prospects the organization should have pegged as top 6/top 4 players. Not sure why player development has been so slow here, (Pacs, Subban, Price being the exceptions) but in the modern era NHL if that doesn't change we're going to be waiting a while for a cup.
Maybe I'm old school as far as development but I believe players should earn their way up the depth chart, draft position be damned.

I don't see a problem with Leblanc in the NHL right now. As long as he is getting decent icetime and opportunities (i.e. some powerplay time). The expectations for him right now though should be minimal. His challenge right now is to learn about playing at the highest level. The reason I don't see a problem is the maturity he shows for his age. It depends on the player, sometimes they may be talented and strong enough but lack that maturity (i.e. a Jason Spezza at a younger age).

One thing the management did get right in recent years in my opinion was the leadership angle. Gionta, Moen, Gill, Cole, etc. are solid role models for younger players to learn from.

The Habs have developed a number of NHL forwards in recent years (Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Lapierre, Kost brothers, D'Agostini, etc.).

They are probably going to be bringing in a number of young dmen in the next few seasons which in my opinion is the toughest position to learn at the NHL level. Look at even some of the young dmen who came in strongest in recent years like Phaneuf and Myers, only to struggle later on.

I don't know if Randy Ladouceur will be back next year. Hopefully they will find a good dman coach if he's not. It would be great to see Larry Robinson behind the Habs bench next season looking after the D.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote