View Single Post
Old
04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
RangersDif

vCash: 500
Tortorella's Playing Career In Sweden

http://www.dn.se/sport/ishockey/tort...-till-new-york

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/sport/fran...l-stanley-cup/

Two Swedish newspapers wrote about John Tortorella's playing career in the Swedish Division 3 (fith division, SEL is first, then Allsvenskan, then Div. 1) team Kristianstad IK. They interviewed players who played with him. If you're Swedish you can read the links at the top (or try Google Translate if you're not) but I will sum up the articles here.

- When he walked into the dressing room you saw he was a real tough guy. Black curly hair, black beard and black eyes. (Mats Aspnäs, GK)

Tortorella wasn't a goal scorer, but he was a fighter and played a psychical game. And he knew how to check.

One player recalls a game where Torts took so much speed and power to check another player that he missed, flew over the boards and on to the asphalt on the other side. He got up and ran on the asphalt with his skates and jumped back over the boards again.

Outside of the rink life was a party for Torts but he doesn't like to comment on the time himself. When the Rangers were in Stockholm in October 2011 he didn't want to comment on his time with the Swedish team.

Torts got himself plenty of parking tickets since when he went to a restaurant he just left the car right outside.

Despite this lifestyle, Torts had a lot of respect for the staff and coaches in the team and there is no doubt that he is a better coach than he was player.

Aspnäs also recalls the last game where the team couldn't drop out or get higher in the standings so the team incited him to take a fight. A player in the other team started roughing a bit after the whistle had blown so Torts knocked him down. Then he took a break and started fighting again. The opposing team's players starting cheering so Torts skated over and starting fighting the team in their box. They had to drag Torts out and afterwards all he said was "was it OK guys?".

The next day there was a big picture of Torts in the local paper and it said that if it had only been boxing, Torts would have won more points.

I thought it was a pretty funny article and I didn't know if you guys had heard of it so I decided to post it! Cheers!