View Single Post
Old
11-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Kim Johnsson is probably a better comparison, but since you're an Isles fan I went with Kenny. I suspect that you haven't seen Lydman enough to really judge him as a player -- he may just be the most underrated defenceman in the league -- if not top five. If Lydman were in the spotlight, he'd easily be in the same league as Kenny or Kim, but since he's not he doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves. That's too bad, but it doesn't go unappreciated in Calgary.

I believe he is close to untouchable for two reasons:

1) The reasons mentioned above pertaining to him being underrated in the league.

2) Sutter signing him for three years (second longest contract currently on the team) and likely expecting overpayment (by league valueations -- in other words, fair value by Flames standpoint) to trade him.

Parrish straight up probably wouldn't even get a returned phone call from Sutter. It would probably take one of Asham or Hunter involved to get the ball rolling.
I suspect that you have not seen Kenny J. play much if you really believe that Lydman is in his league. He is not. As I said earlier, on the current Islander team, Lydman would be our number 5.

I understand why you think Lydman is untouchable. I just don't think that is the case. He simply isn't that good a defensemen. This is an offensive dman who has never scored 30 points, and never been a plus player in his career. If Sutter could improve the team by moving him, he would do it.

As for Parrish, I still don't see the fit there on Calgary. But, I agree the deal would not be Lydman straight up. The Flames would have to add something. I think Lydman and a third rounder for Parrish would be fair.