View Single Post
Old
04-05-2012, 09:59 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I went back to 1998 (the last point NHL.com has Empty net totals). If you exclude empty net goals and shootout goals Montreal sits at a -4 for real goal differential.

No team team finishing in the bottom 5 of the league has come close to Montreal in real goal differential. Closest is 98-99 Capitals with a real dif. of -16.

History will be made.

Closest comparable I can find since the Original six is the 92-93 New York Rangers who finished 4th last with a -4 (no idea on their empty nets).

Crazily enough, they won the Cup the next year.
We've been fascinating to follow from a statistical standpoint this year. Just looking at our normal goal differential we look like an outlier but it's even worse without the SO and empty net goals.

Just need to find a GM who'll understand that.

Though the team is clearly weaker on the wings than it was at the beginning of the season, going from having Kostitsyn as their 5th best winger to having Bourque as the third best. Finding a top 6/tough minutes LW to push Bourque down on the third/exploitation line would help and having Gionta back will be huge.

Defence could use a top 4 defensive D and we should look for a good defensive fourth line center to take some of the Dzone faceoff load of Plekanec.

Nothing crazy there. Take the high pick and run, don't blow up the team Oilers-style and I can see us rebounding next year.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote