View Single Post
Old
04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
we are going to have some strong wingers...but who the heck is going to center these guys?? I hope the Sharks bow out so Pavelski can come!!

also, do we really need to name Nate Thompson and Pat Dwyer already? I hate when they do that so early with 4th line guys..
Pavelski would be a huge addition. Such a complete player. Hopefully some centers become available after the first round of the NHL playoffs since there's time to wait. Hopefully a guy like Stastny will sign up to center two studs like Pacioretty and Ryan. That would be a good start.

On one hand, I understand the guys like Thompson and Dwyer. You need players that willingly accept their roles as 4th liners and will work hard, grind, and give their bodies up for this team. On the other hand, you can typically find lots of those guys - as you mention - as well. With USA Hockey, it's so hard to tell what's the case here. They could know all the other forwards we know are available have declined, or they could have added Thompson/Dwyer early because both players were eager and willing to sign up knowing they'd get limited minutes and/or possibly be scratches where as some of the others may have had reservations. However, we've also seen USA Hockey sign these guys up early and then run out of room for a guy like Zach Parise in the past as well so who the heck knows. If they can get Wheeler confirmed and then get a Kessel, Pominville, Stafford, etc. on board, this team should have enough firepower up front and on the back end to overcome the scoring issues our team has had recently.

Now they just need to pray Ryan Miller will agree to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
USA Hockey has to hedge their bets a little bit. I have no problem with guys like Thompson and Dwyer on the 4th line. Lets just hope they stay there........
Exactly. As long as they were signed up with the intention of being 4th line guys, great. Unfortunately, USA Hockey hasn't always shown that capable foresight in their selection process so I understand the apprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Seriously, assuming NHL players are in Sotshi in 2014, if I were in charge of assembling the team, JJ would be the first name on the roster. More players should be this proud to play for their national team.
Perfectly said, Jussi. While Jack has yet to fully realize his potential, you're starting to see it now that he's out of LA's stifling system. Even then, as long as he doesn't regress from where he's at now, there's no way you can leave him off the 2014 team. Any country would gladly accept more Jack Johnson's if they could.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.