Thread: Money To Spend?
View Single Post
Old
02-28-2006, 11:17 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
we're very close... you can't base all decisions on potential. in Downie, Potulny, and Ruzicka we have other guys that could develop into just as good players.

it's fine to move young players as long as you don't gut the system... which moving Umberger wouldn't do. however, you have to be smart about it.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Umberger. You cant compare Downie, Potulny and Ruzicka to Carter, Richards or Umberger because they have excelled at the AHL level (Calder Cup) and are now playing well at the NHL level. In my mind, prospects mean nothing until they get to and succeed in the AHL or NHL. And as I have said 1000 times, look at TB. They let their young guys develop as a team over a couple years and look what happened. We have been there done that with the signing of high profile free agents and trading prospects for proven players. Where has it gotten us??? Justin Williams would look really nice next to Carter and Umberger for the next 5 years, dont you think? (I understand why they traded him though) I think this team is a contender this year with only adding a decent winger and dman (especially if KJ is out) without giving up any of these players. I dont feel Jokinen fits the team and I dont think it is worth giving up Umberger for him when he and Carter have already proven that they can play together and continue to develop.