View Single Post
04-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Unregistered User
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I cannot stress what was said in the first reply enough. Stickhandling.

I hav seen many a great skater suck at hockey because they couldn't stickhandle and I've seen many a not so good skater be a great player because of their hands.

Skating is important but once you have the base level to skate at your given level it's ou hands that makes the biggest difference as far as I'm concerned.

Stickhandling gives you confidence and be able to makes that initial move buys you time.

You can order items to help practice on dry land, which is another great thing about atickhandling you don't need ice time.

Get a heavy weight puck for building strength for stick handling.

Get a swedish stickhandling ball to build quick hands.

Get a skills pad to simulate ice. EZ Puck has a roll up pad that has holes drilled into it and "pylons" to practice you figure 8s etc as was mentioned.

Build yourself an obstacle course.

Trick is learn the feel so you can keep your head up as much as possible. That will help with buying yourself time and making decisions. has a bunch of items for stickhandling.
You could also make your own handling/shooting pad for under $15. There's a thread somewhere but I can't be bothered to dig it up. Basically, a 4'x2' hardboard panel and some silicone spray from Home Depot, Rona, or whatever your local DIY home hardware store is.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote