View Single Post
Old
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Focusing on the post-lockout years, because that's when the ELC years became extremely valuable for stars:

Crosby - tricky, because he was in the very rare situation of being too good for juniors. There could be a case made for the Pens finding a creative solution (spending a year in Sweden would be strange, but maybe brilliant), as they burned an ELC year on another last place finish. Of course, they needed to sell tickets, so any hockey/cap argument would've been moot for them.

JStaal - not too good for a juniors. Was not dominant in his draft season. Could have led the Petes and TC for another season, and saved the Pens some cap trouble later on. Scored a bunch in his rookie season, but it was an illusion, inflated by a ridiculous shooting % of 22% that he would never repeat.

PKane - burned a year of his ELC on a non-playoff season for Chicago. Would've had the challenge of leading London without Gagner and Sergei.

Turris - I don't think it's an argument, everyone including his team decided he needed more seasoning. In hindsight, he probably would've benefited from a second season at Wisconsin.

Stamkos - burnt two non-playoff seasons off his ELC. His rookie season was a circus in TB. Like with Crosby, the team needed to sell tickets ("Seen Stamkos"), but from a cap perspective, I'd love to see this kind of phenom spend a season in Europe to circumvent the CHL/AHL agreement.

Doughty - like most of these prospects, the team burnt a non-playoff season off his ELC, and had to deal with his inflated, market value cap hit (IMO) prematurely.

Bogosian - burnt all three seasons of his ELC on a non-playoff team. In his case, I think you can argue that early promotion actually hurt the player's hockey development. Opposition coaches quickly realized that he was not yet able to handle their best forwards, and that the Thrashers did not have the depth to shelter him. He's had a tough ride.

Pietrangelo - the team agreed, he needed more time.

Tavares and Hall - see my points on Crosby and Stamkos. Great players who were ready for more, but everyone knew the Isles/Oilers were going to suck. A creative solution would've saved them his current cap hit.

Hedman, Larsson, EKane, Landeskog, RNH - non-playoff ELC year burning yada yada, Hedman and Larsson were/are definitely not too good for the SEL and Evander, Landeskog and RNH could have had good experiences leading their teams at the WJC.

Seguin - the rare good team with a top pick, actually made the playoffs and won the Cup. But, Seguin did not play most of the season like a bonafide NHL'er. The Bruins could have gotten better production from a veteran NHL'er for $3.5mil, and saved a year on Seguin's ELC.
Small problem, your neglecting in all of this the acclamation period for a prospect to adjust to the speed, whose to say that Chicago or Tampa make the playoffs if there players aren't use to the speed of the show regardless if we pick grigs I can see him spending another year in junior going through one more season of thi crap and then in 13-14 we put all the chips on the table and make a playoff push then in 14-15 be cup contenders

Xxxx-grigerenko-cole
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Eller
Leblanc-plekanec-gionta
White-bournival-xxxx

Subban-tinordi
Gorges-beaulieu
Emelin Markov

Price

Drool