View Single Post
Old
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I can better answer this question if I know what your goal is next season. Are you trying to get younger realizing that you may need another year or two to really compete? Are you trying to duplicate the Florida model with some 2nd tier FAs and a trade or two? Long term and short term goals don't always coincide.

I know Gagliardi is probably desperate to make the playoffs, sell tickets and get this team moving forward but so is Toronto and the results haven't matched for almost 10 years. It's time for a honest hard look at this roster where the answer may be 2013-2014 and not this next season. I'm just not sure that's the direction they'll take.

I'd rather they sign some one year stop gap contracts, keep the kids in the minors till they prove they're ready, ship out UFAs at the deadline and roll with the kids for half a season knowing they'll struggle but add talent to the pipeline with the goal of 2013 then more of this same crap again next year.
The Florida model, except the team doesn't need a drastic overhaul, just a few new faces. I think the team needs to take a step forward, which means making the playoffs. Gaglardi will want to make an impact as a new owner, so he will try to sign some big names. I think the free agent marketplace is going to be expensive, and the best case (realistic) scenario is PA Parenteau and Dennis Wideman/Jason Garrison.

I am with you as far as being optimistic about the farm system and developing players who will be ready to challenge for NHL spots, but the quality of players who will be available for stop gap contracts will be too low, and the risk will be turning into a zombie franchise like the flames, where we have players who are wasting their prime years surrounded by scrubs. The talent level needs to be raised, and if prospects can make the step up when they are ready, so much the better.