View Single Post
Old
04-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Why only the picks made in the top six? Don't think that gives much of a judgement on the drafting abilities of an individual. Top five picks are pretty much no brainers. Top threes are pretty much a duh. And having the top pick is well...

You or I or my blind aunt could probably draft Crosby or Malkin.

Even GMDM drafted Rick Nash.
Most picks beyond the first round don't turn out to be impact players. Or even NHL players for that matter. In fact, very few end up playing even 200 NHL games. From 2002-2006, only 37 of the roughly 150 drafted in the NHL ended up having a 200 or more NHL game career. That's only 25% and there may have been one or two impact players in this group. Picking high end talent in these rounds is generally "needle in the haystack" kind of stuff. Successful teams build through first round picks and free agency these days.

I don't think that most drafting is quite as rudimentary as you seem to think that it is.

Was the Jackets #4 choice of Zherdev a no brainer in a draft where Ryan Getzlaf went 15 spots later? Was choosing a goalie #1 (Fluery by Patrick) who has worked out very well is just a matter of following the play book? Especially given that goalies generally aren't top picks.

Let's take Jagr (#5) compared to Johansen (#4). There's more than reading a Scouting Central report in choosing between this gulf in talent levels. One-a lower pick-will be in the Hall of Fame. The other might-and I say might-have a middling NHL career.

Sure, Crosby was a consensus #1. But that's not always the case. This year's decision for #1 isn't a clear cut one. Yakupov or Grigorenko? Is anyone on this board really comfortable with the man who signed Mason and Umberger to rich extensions before he had to AND drafted Filatov and Johansen making the call on this year's potential top pick?

Probably so

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote