Old
04-07-2012, 12:33 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Why can't it be all three?
Absolutely it can be and is. Having more talent on the squad could have meant having more offensive to cover for nights where the defense breaks down. Or more depth to cover away games where our top lines got shut down. Or stronger special teams to save their butts when Ott, Souray, Morrow, and Robidas decided to take parades to the penalty box. I'm not trying to discount that factor at all.

I'm replying to the often expressed sentiment that missing the playoffs is simply a product of not having enough talent on the roster. There seems to be people who are OK giving the team a pass on everything that's happened the past few years simply because our payroll is not high enough. You see it expressed all the time on Heika's blog and occasionally here as well. "It's not the coaching, or the players, or anything. Its just we're a cap floor team without a lot of talent. What do you expect?"

To me this is shortsighted. The team had enough talent to put itself comfortably in the playoff picture 3 years in a row now. And three years in a row now they've choked under the pressure of the final weeks of the season, and folded when other teams stepped up their games. To me it isn't a talent disparity that allowed us to get in the playoffs in February but choke it away in March 3 years in a row. To me that's leadership and culture in the locker-room.

Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 04-07-2012 at 01:07 AM.