View Single Post
Old
04-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Genghis Keon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Murray can't be much better offensively as only 31 points in 46 games, roughly same average as Alzner who had 47 points in 63 games. I think Murray may be a better skater but Alzner bigger and stronger at 18. Overall, equal prospects but different qualities?
Besides for the difference in their teams (as Schooner guy brought up--Alzner's Hitmen scored 251 goals while Murray's Silvertips scored 185, a considerable difference), Alzner never showed the ability Murray has. At last year's U18, Murray put up 10 points in 7 games, coming second on Canada in scoring. In this year's playoffs, Murray was all the offense the Silvertips had. He matched Yakupov's statline in two less games with absolutely zero help.

I think there's a good chance Murray just becomes a solid, but unspectacular defenseman (but still extremely valuable to his team) like Alzner has become, but there's potential for more and he's shown more of that ability than Alzner ever has.

That said, for this year's defensemen, I really like Dumba's combination of passion/work ethic/skill/athleticism. Even if he doesn't have ideal size (6'0 183), it's hard to bet against someone so talented, with so many tools, with so much character and drive.