View Single Post
Old
04-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It can be pretty minor. Watch the Cammalleri video posted on the first page to get an idea, often you're just dragging it in a couple of inches. I only do the really extreme drag/pull ins when I really want to change the angle on the goalie, or when I really need to drag it in to shoot around a shot blocker.

Honestly, you can perform a snap shot with no drag at all. The key aspect of the snap shot is to load the stick around the start of the shot, then release, as opposed to the wrist shot which is more of a continuous, sweeping load throughout the shot. A snap shot is like a slap shot in that the stick loads up before coming in contact with the puck, but with the snap shot there's no wind up, you do all the loading with arm strength and weight transfer. Look at how Phil Kessel often shoots, when he's shooting in stride he very often does not drag the puck in at all, he goes straight from stick handling to loading/shooting, it's part of what gives him such a quick, hard to read release. I personally find that for some reason I have a bit more power and accuracy with the little pre-shot drag, but I still often use the Phil Kessel type snappers when a quick release is most important, as you can often catch goalies without them even noticing that the shot is coming.
Also, to continue this thought, it depends on the curve. I use a heel curve so when I drag, the puck more often than not is in the sweet spot. I picked up a Sakic curve from a teammate that I have used a lot before and the drag didn't do anything bc I was used to the same motion as the heel curve.

At it's most basic function, the snap shot feels like you make contact with the puck and a very short time after, you snap your wrists to aim at the target. How you get there is up to you, but it is the snapping motion that brings the power/accuracy. If you drag and snap, or snap on the fly, the motion is what is there.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote