Old
04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
A look back at our prospects from 3 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq on August 22, 2009
After more than a month of voting, we finally have our list of prospects. With 50 prospects in total, about half of whom having a very good chance of cracking the NHL, this is probably the deepest prospect list that the Rangers had since HFboards began these rankings.

We can reasonably expect more than a dozen of these kids to play regularly in the NHL.

Take a look at our Summer 2009 Prospect poll: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=674430

The first time I ran a prospect poll on this forum. The results weren't perfectly on target because clearly Carl Hagelin, ranked #21, is superior to Evgeny Grachev, ranked #2. But it's interesting how many NHLers came out of that pool. That was an insanely deep pool. I remember people telling me there's no point in going beyond the top-20, but I felt there was a need to go to the top-30 at the time. And if you look at the players, Hagelin is #21, Dale Weise #23 and Roman Horak is #28. To have 3 NHLers who weren't even in the top-20 is something.

Take a look at how many players we got and how many of them are good:

CENTERS

1. Derek Stepan
2. Artem Anisimov
3. Brian Boyle

WINGERS

4. Carl Hagelin
5. Chris Kreider (almost definite to have an NHL career of some kind)
6. Roman Horak

DEFENSEMEN

7. Ryan McDonagh
8. Michael Del Zotto
9. Michael Sauer
10. Matt Gilroy
11. Corey Potter

* Other possible NHLers: Ryan Bourque, Ethan Werek, Pavel Valentenko, Tomas Kundratek, Bobby Sanguinetti, Evgeny Grachev. I would bet that 1-2 of these players will still make the NHL in some capacity in the future.

That's enough players to dress 2/3 of the skaters you would need for a game. Considering the quality as well as the quantity, we had the best prospect corps at the time.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote