View Single Post
Old
04-07-2012, 06:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
A player you've discovered in this draft - Duke Keats - didn't know he was this good
Best assembled line of the draft - Lindsay-Keats-Selanne
Thanks. I'm glad to see that you saw what I was trying to do with my line.

I'm also glad you were so vocal about Duke Keats earlier in the draft, as it gave me a chance to put out more information about him. Some GMs hate it when others criticize their picks openly, I see it as a chance to put out more information about that player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Biggest Steal of the draft: Ernie ''Moose'' Johnson, best defenceman of a generation. For over a decade was among the elite.
Johnson played from 1905-1931, Cleghorn played from 1909-1929. I think it's fair to consider them part of the same generation, and Cleghorn better.

For what it's worth in the mid 1920s, both McLean's magazine and Lester Patrick put out their "all time all star teams" and both selected Sprague Cleghorn and Hod Stuart as the best defensemen to have ever played. Of course, the major caveat is that Hod had died young about 15 years earlier, so there might have been some nostalgia involved.

Quote:
(Best pick)17th round: Zinetula Bilyaletdinov, D
I must have done a better job selling my Russian last time than this time. I don't necessarily disagree with you, just want to point out that I think it's an open question as to whether Bilyaletdinov or his partner Pervuhkin was actually better. North American observers prefered Bilyaletdinov, but Pervuhkin got more recognition by Soviet awards voters.

Quote:
(Worse pick)12nd round: Pete Mahovlich, C/LW or Reed Larson, D
I realize that Pete Mahovlich was probably my worst pick this draft, but worst of the round? I don't know. He was huge (6'5"), willing to fight, good on faceoffs, decent defensively, showed he could score with the right linemates (so he's useful in case of injury), and was one of the best penalty killers in the NHL for about 6 years before taking on a more offensive role (and a top PKer for Canada in both the 72 Summit and 76 Canada Cup). I see him as one of the most useful 4th line centers in the draft.

Obviously, the issue is that you shouldn't be drafting 4th liners in the 12th round - I was planning on using him as a 3rd line LW until realizing he did very little at LW in the NHL. So in that way, it wasn't a particularly good pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
how is Boris Alexandrov not a unanimous choice for worst pick of round 19??

Hejduk? Owen? and TDMM undecided?
I just saw it as a "blunder" pick. I can't imagine anything else but Bugg thinking he was drafting the other Alexandrov at the time, so I put it down as a "blunder" rather than a bad pick. If Bugg actually meant to draft that guy, then I definitely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
(Worst pick)17th round: Brian Rolston
You must either value special teams (BOTH PP and PK) less than me or value 4th line even strength minutes more than me.

I realize Rolston became a lazy sack of **** after he signed his 35+ contract, but we don't judge older players by their declines, I don't see why we shouldn't judge Rolston by his best 10-15 seasons like we do for everyone else (except apparently Wade Redden).

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 04-07-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: "willing" not "very willing"
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote