View Single Post
Old
11-19-2003, 05:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
he was 'NHL-ready', if you ignored stone hands and that 'scoring' touch (he only had one in the playoffs prior to being drafted though).

And I agree he was brought along the wrong way (though personally, I would've had him in juniors working on playing more with the puck - his puck handling skills were marginal and he was easily knocked off the puck - not great for a big guy). But of course, Smith, I believe, wanted to show he was committed to a youth movement and kept him up, ultimately doing him in.

I thought Low gave him his best chances - but didn't follow it through the next season unfortunately.

Hope he lands somewhere and can have a decent career. He's a good kid with a good heart.
Good comments Fletcher....

I agree that Manny should've stayed in junior, in hindsight, I do believe Smith took Manny because his body was NHL ready enough, he figured the rest he slowly pickup.... he was wrong. But also remember, Pierre Lacroix was ready to move up & deal some extra picks to get Manny, but Smith stuck to his guns. At the time the Ranger's were believed to have wanted Mark Bell. He would've been ruined somehow, it was just the times this organization was going through(has it changed much? ).