View Single Post
Old
04-08-2012, 08:15 AM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
Well, yeah. That's the thing. Not everyone can be Victoriaville (an hour, maybe an hour and change to Québec, Sherbrooke, & Shawinigan, 1/2 hour to Drummondville), I mean, even Hull is a solid two hours from the closest team.

Google Maps says that Saint John to Sydney is 7-1/2 hours, so let's say 6-1/2 hours. That's Hull to Rouyn-Noranda, and having been to New Brunswick and (mainland) Nova Scotia, I'm know that it's equally pleasant to the drive up the 117. I'm sure it sucks to have to go back and forth like that, but it beats the alternative!

What's concerning, is that the current playoff format has the potential for Cape-Breton/Rouyn-Noranda series (25 hours, says google), or a Halifax/Hull series (16-1/2 hours), or a Saint John/Val-d'Or series (16-1/2 hours, if you go through Maine) in the first round! Last year, Montréal played Halifax (14-ish hours), Hull played Rimouski (8-ish hours) and Québec played Val-d'Or (9-ish hours). Those are all pretty hideous first round matchups, but it can get much worse.

Later in the playoffs, fine. I think you should expect to be playing someone far away at some point, but a haul like that in the first round is a great way to take the wind out their sails. They're mostly teenagers, don't forget.
Google overestimates though. It's 9 hours from Hali to Montreal max. It takes me about 8.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote