View Single Post
Old
04-08-2012, 02:44 PM
CunniJA

vCash: 500
I've actually been very interested in handedness generally pretty much since I was a little kid and noticed on NHL 96 that the majority of the players shot lefty. Of course, I thought this was weird because the vast majority of people are right-handed.

Going into the present, I've still been fascinated with handedness, particularly as it applies to hockey, and to a lesser extent, baseball. And after researching the topic, I've come to these conclusions:

Conclusion 1. Handedness in things were you use both hands simultaneously is not cut and dry. Instead, it is a complex animal.

- How do you open a jar? How do you shoot pool? Which hand is on top when you swing a baseball bat? If you ride a bike with one hand, which hand are you more comfortable leaving on the handlebar?

All of these things use both hands at the same time and if you look at them, people do them many different ways. I hold a jar with my right hand and twist the cap with my left. I shoot pool left-handed. I bat right-handed. I'm far more comfortable guiding a bike with my left hand.

Now, I throw right-handed and write right-handed, which are the two main indicators people use for hand dominance. But, I happen to shoot right-handed in hockey, which theoretically is the wrong way. I think qmechanic is correct that a lot of ignorant adults picking up the game just say "derp, I'm right-handed, so I need a right-handed stick." And, a lot of ignorant parents whose kids want to play hockey say "derp, my kid is right-handed, so the kid needs a right-handed stick."

But I certainly picked up a stick at a young age, and right handed felt right correct to me. I think that based on shooting pool left-handed, this makes sense.

Conclusion 2. I think that a comment I saw on the internet from an old guy that runs a hockey shop said it very well: to determine what curve a kid should use, see how the kid holds a shovel. I always shovelled snow with my right hand on the bottom and my left hand on the top, and I play hockey the same way.

CunniJA is online now   Reply With Quote