View Single Post
Old
04-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Hockey Duckie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That works both ways. It also means Sbisa is playing more sheltered minutes, and able to play at a more comfortable pace. Toronto is asking more from Gardiner. That still doesn't mean Gardiner isn't close to Sbisa, which just isn't true. Sbisa was a solid top 4 defenseman this season. So was Gardiner. Gardiner is better in some areas, and Sbisa in others.
I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that Gardiner will be better, meaning the future. Gardiner and Sbisa aren't exactly the same type of defenseman. That being said, Garndiner is still become more accostomed to the NHL game whereas Sbisa has been in the League longer, thus has more experience. This season Sbisa has grown into a top 4 defenseman instead of being inconsistent as in previous years. Gardiner was able to learn defense from a college known for playing defense, Wisconsin U. Gardiner has been inconsistent from the span I watched him. But still very impressive performance in the League and having to be thrust into the limelight.

I liked the Gardiner pick. In fact, I like the fact that Shultz and Gardiner may grow into a tandem together for the Ducks in the years to come. Things didn't pan out that way. But as of today, I would pick Sbisa over Gardiner without having doubts. Ask me the same question next season, then it may change depending on Gardiner. If anything, I wished we still had Gardiner in our pipeline.