View Single Post
Old
04-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Oh yeah. A lot of what I see in here are lowball offers, but that's the way of the HF world: you have a bad 40 games, you're worthless, not worth your contract, prospects are better than you, etc. I can say with near certainty that any deal not including Coyle would be a non-starter from Regier's perspective. (And I completely understand why Wild fans wouldn't want to trade him, but you have to understand why we wouldn't trade a proven player like Vanek for second-tier prospects.)

We Sabres fans are down on him because he completely disappeared in the second half--be it because of injuries or any number of other factors. But, at the same time, we don't forget that only two NHL players outscored Vanek in the calendar year 2011. Plus, if Heatley's ice time is any indication, he'd see a lot more ice in Minnesota than he does in Buffalo.
It's not that we don't like Vanek... it's just we've spent an entire 2nd half of the season looking at our prospects lustfully waiting for next year... and now you come in here trying to take them away from us

Also, the Wild have the cap space to go after proven goal-scorers in free agency... without sacrificing prospects in the process. While there aren't exactly loads of players available, the Wild should be able to convince someone to come here that will improve this roster, so I tend to look at it like: Is having Vanek a better option than having a free agent + the prospects we lose in the trade? If we get Parise or Semin (i know nobody likes him here) then the answer is undoubtedly no... the decision is harder as you go down the list...

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote