View Single Post
Old
04-09-2012, 01:23 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
At the end of last season I said that I would do a comparison of 19-20 year old numbers for Bjugstad and Shore after Bjugstad finished this season.

Shore- 40GP 46P
Bjugstad-40GP 42P

Shore slightly edges him out. I was disappointed that Bjugstad's production slowed down after he came back from his shoulder injury because if he had kept up a similar pace it would be a more accurate comparison. But I guess that's part of the deal. IIRC Shore was injured last season too. Bjugstad looked pretty good at the end of the season though. I thought he looked really good last night, the Eagles just ran over Minny though. That team is ridiculously stacked. Denver last season was pretty similar to Minny this season, I'd say almost identical quality teams, both with two good scoring lines, solid defenses, and great goaltending. Both great teams, but not national juggernauts. Denver was 3rd in the WCHA last season, Minny was 1st this season. So taking this all into account, it makes for a pretty accurate comparison. Take from it what you will. I still think Bjugstad has a higher upside, and I think what he will bring to the table in the NHL as a complete package can't be measured right now in points alone, but Shore is a pretty damn good prospect in his own right. I think for him it will come down to how dirty he wants to get and molding his game more to that of a pro player. If he can do that well though, I think he will be a very, very good NHL forward. With every passing game, Bjugstad looks to me more and more like Backes 2.0. So similar.
Not sure how much you see Blake Wheeler. Or pay attention to him. Close to the same height different build. Wheeler was drafted at 185 i think. Made it up to 230+ and is now listed at 208. It took Wheels a bit to not only muscle out and lean out. He was just plain ol growing. Bjugstad is a lot leaner as he was a tennis player. He will add some weight and then lean out too.

Yeah i am a gopher fan. But i think if you give him one more year to get used to his body and size he will be even better coming in.