View Single Post
Old
04-09-2012, 01:47 AM
dire wolf
be cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorrrrr View Post
Quality minutes have nothing to do with Jame' point. He is saying the problem is putting your best offensive player who has a tremendous shot in front of the net so that Chara can break his neck, just because he is good at tipping shots. Good coaching would be to protect such a player from that situation, especially since this team has no one to scare off the extra attention that Vanek gets. Putting a Vanek elsewhere on the pp would be very interesting with his shot and passing ability. Taking the cheap cross checks game after game leads to more injuries when you do take the big hits.
Yes, I understood that. I also understand that if Ruff played Vanek at the point, it is likely that the Ruff-haters would criticize that move on the grounds that Vanek isn't just "good at tipping shots," but, in fact, is one of the most talented scorers from in and around the paint in the entire NHL. Certainly, he is the best on the Sabres. At the same time, Pominville, Ehrhoff, Leo and Myers all have good shots from the point. If Vanek plays the point, then who plays in front of the net screening goalies, tipping shots and putting in garbage rebounds? Pretty much nobody, which makes for a crappy PP and a crappy coaching job. Vanek plays in the paint because he's the best at it. Yes, he's going to take some physical abuse and get dinged up, but that's what he does. That's like arguing that Ruff should tell Kaleta to stop playing physical so that he gets hurt less. A non-physical Kaleta and a perimeter Vanek are both pretty useless.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, your notion of how to use Vanek has merit and makes some amount of sense to me. But that doesn't make Ruff an idiot, which is what Jame's real point was.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote