Thread: Speculation: X - Plekanec - X
View Single Post
Old
04-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

And any plan that includes counting on Markov to be healthy should be ripped to shreds, burned, buried and then pissed on. We've been down that road for three years now. Are we going to keep playing Charlie Brown to Markov's knee? How many times do you have to smack on the ground before you realize there's a good chance that the football is going to be pulled away at the last second?
Very funny stuff. I'd still consider Markov as "in" if the medical guys say so. Call me stupid. I can handle it

Plekanec and Gionta + draft pick. If the draft pick isn't expected to be top 6 NHL ready, then sign a short term top 6 forward for a year or two. Ray Whitney could fit that bill. I doubt anyone is going to be offering a 40 year old more than a two year deal. He's patch work, but given the fact that there's really only one top notch UFA available (Parise) for whom Montreal would be but one of many options, then a short term fix with a quality player may be the best route to take.

In any case, with Gionta's return, the Canadiens already have 5 bonafide top 6 forwards. With the draft pick, that could possibly rise to the 6 needed. The sorry situation of having only 2 top 6 wingers will be taken care of regardless of whom takes the reins as the new GM.

Line combinations are always subject to change. If Plekanec's line doesn't gel next season-whomever his wingers are-then the DD line needs to be split up. I'd rather not see that given how well that line performed, but if circumstances dictate that is must be, then so be it.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote