Thread: Speculation: X - Plekanec - X
View Single Post
Old
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Signing him makes us 80% smurf in the top 6 again. I'm sorry but it doesn't make sense from that standpoint, nevermind the fact that adding him in no way makes us contenders with the D that we have now.
i'm all for improving the grit/toughness in our lineup, but are you telling me it wouldn't "make sense" to land Crosby or Datsyuk either?

Parise is an elite, game-changing level talent, his size is irrelevant.

comparing him (or his potential impact) to the likes of Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri makes no sense.

Adding Parise to ours (or any) lineup, immediately makes them much better.

besides that point, if we were to add him alone, we'd have:

MaxPac-DD-Cole
Parise - Pleks - Gionta/Bourque

even with Gionta, that's an elite level top 6 capable of playing/matching up with any team.

can't forget that Parise, like Plekanec, is very good defensively, and plays with the same kind of drive as a guy like Gionta.

being smallish doesn't impact his effectiveness, and adding him wouldn't be a return to "smurf hockey", imo.

we need to improve our defense regardless of what we do up front, but imo if Markov is healthy and gives us a bit more than what we saw to close out the season (which he should, with an extra 6 months of strengthening/recovery), all we really need is to jettison Kaberle and add 1 gritty top-4 player for our defense to be in excellent shape.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote