04-09-2012, 01:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No. No. No.

As happy as we are that he's healthy now, we should not be condoning players playing through concussions.

I will say that there is some awesome stuff in this article other than just the concussion stuff. MAB wants to be a team player, and he wants to be a part of this team.

I met his family way back when during his first training camp. Great people, and MAB is a good guy. I'm really happy he's turned his career around so drastically.
It's gonna happen, especially in cases like this. I completely understand why a guy like MAB would do this. Guys play through other injuries that are less serious and no one bats an eye really. This would be tragic if he had been further injured, but his livelihood depended on playing through it. I don't know what his contract is like, but I assume he gets paid a fraction of what he was making on the NHL level in the AHL. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you take time off to heal, he may never get to live out his NHL dreams and get that NHL paycheck again because someone might take his spot. If he gets injured further, he risks the same thing. I completely understand the thinking of if you can play through it, you play through it. It is dangerous and potentially short sighted, but if you are a 23 year old kid (or however old he is) living out your dream of playing in the NHL and cashing huge paychecks every week, are you going to risk losing your spot to take time off and heal? Some people might, others won't. Both are understandable choices.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote