View Single Post
Old
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Bennett Brauer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
This is percisely why I laugh whenever I hear people say Pittsburgh built a great team. No, they were handed a great team for tanking hard for several years (will give credit for Neal trade though). Teams like the Devils and Detroit BUILT great teams.

All that being said, this is the fairest way to do it and promotes parity. The lottery system was also an improvement.
This post is precisely why I laugh whenever I hear people say "they were handed a great team" no they weren't. Nobody handed them anything, Craig Patrick couldn't spend money that the team didn't have. The team was poor and there was no salary cap. We had to put a bad Penguin team out on the ice because of that, which is why we got those high pick, not because we "tanked", we just sucked.

Before the Penguins started picking 1st and 2nd overall, let's look at their draft record starting with 2000.

2000 - Brooks Orpik (18th overall)
2001 - Colby Armstrong (21st overall)

then in 2002, they got Ryan Whitney (5th overall) and Erik Christensen (69th overall)

In 2003, the Florida Panthers won the draft lottery, Pens had the 3rd overall pick. Patrick traded up with Florida to pick Marc-Andre Fleury, a player who he liked and wanted. He could have just stood pat and drafted a guy like Nathan Horton.

In 2004, It was going to be Malkin either way. Craig Patrick talked about how much the Pens liked Malkin and it wouldn't matter if they picked 1st or 2nd, they wanted Malkin either way.

In 2005, Pens won the lottery to select Crosby, nothing was handed to them, they were just lucky. They also drafted Kris Letang in the 3rd round and Joe Vitale, a good 4th line center in the 7th round.

Craig Patrick was fired, Ray Shero hired and in 2006, he selected Jordan Staal, a good support for Sid and Geno. He could have easily selected Toews or Kessel.

After Ray Shero took over, he built this team into what it is today.

Traded Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito (2007 1st round, 20th overall pick) and the 2008 1st (29th overall) for Pascal Dupuis and Marian Hossa. Yes, I know Hossa left but he is also a great hockey player, and Shero got him along with Pascal Dupuis, who is also a great hockey player for the Pens, for 4 players that didn't really matter.

Traded Ryan Whitney for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi, got a good power forward winger to play with Sid and a young power forward prospect.

Traded Alex Goligoski for James Neal and Matt Niskanen, Goligoski was a #5 defenseman here and with depth at the position, he was able to be traded, and he brought back a #5 PMD who plays great for the Pens and a winger who just scored 40 goals.

And let's not forget the free agents he brings in.

02-Jul-07 Signed right wing Petr Sıkora
05-Jul-08 Signed left wing Matt Cooke to a two-year contract.
01-Jul-10 Signed free agent defenseman Zbynek Michalek to a five year, $20 million contract
01-Jul-10 Signed free agent defenseman Paul Martin to a five year $25 million contract.
01-Jul-11 Signed free agent forward Steve Sullivan to a one year, $1.5 million contract

The bold is all Shero.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Sullivan-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Asham-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Niskanen-Engelland

Fleury
Johnson

Let's not forget, Brooks Orpik was an 18th overall pick in 2000 and Kris Letang was a 3rd round (62nd overall) pick in 2005.

So, you see. Pittsburgh wasn't handed a good team, they selected 4 great players in the early rounds, then BUILT a team around them. So in a way, yes Pittsburgh did build a good team.

Oh, and I would like to add that for our 2009 cup winning team. These guys were important.

Max Talbot (2002 8th round, 234th overall by the Pens)

Hal Gill - acquired by Ray Shero

Rob Scuderi (1998 5th round, 134th overall by the Pens)

Mark Eaton - signed by Ray Shero

Pittsburgh handed a good team? I don't think so.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote