Thread: News Article: Don't Rip Pens, or Else...
View Single Post
Old
04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
In sports marketing there are two types of stars.

The guys who become popular because the fans gravitate towards them and the guys who are pushed on people.

The former outsells the latter every time. Crosby will never be the marketable player the NHL wants him to be. No matter how much the NHL tries to force the issue, it's just not happening. It's not working now, just like it didn't work with Mario.
I'm pretty sure we've talked about Mario before. He has a taciturn personality that tends towards a need to be idolized. An absolute hedonist. In real life--that's a hard person to get along with or put up with. The league pushed him anyway and they still push him.

Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Messier--much better personalities and in reality they were all equal if not better players.

Crosby rates very high though in terms of generational player in my mind. Missing a season and a half and still putting up in the neighborhood of 1.5 points a game. For comparison Marc Staal--close to an elite shutdown defenseman is still looking for his game with somewhat less of a concussion problem. I respect the **** out of Crosby as a player. He has drive and creativity. I don't think I like his personality so much but I also think that Lemieux's crapola personality informs it a bit. Wish that it were not so.

I agree that the NHL shouldn't stick all its eggs in one basket. There are plenty of other players and avenues they can develop.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote