View Single Post
Old
11-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
The point about Lydman's offense is that his defensive abilities are not close to Kenny J's level and his offense is not enough to compensate. He is not particularly strong in any single aspect of the game.
That's not really giving him a fair shake or being objective about him. His skating for example is amongst the top's in the league. Go check out his numbers from the last Flames skills comp. He finished ahead of guys like Bondra. He is also strong at rushing the puck and I would say he's quite strong in his own zone as well. While he's not a punishing hitter his strength does allow him to tie up most forwards along the boards quite well. And his skating allows him to pressure opponents very quickly and to be able to compensate for any mistakes.

I'm not saying Lydman would be a slam dunk to make the Isles top 4 but I think it's far closer than you are admitting. From your comments you appear to underrate him a bit. The Flames won't give him up unless the package coming back is quite overwhelming.