View Single Post
04-09-2012, 11:44 PM
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Nieuwendyk as a "glue guy"? What does that even mean? We all seem to have our own definition.

As for being "somewhat" out of place, Nieuwendyk sticks out like a sore thumb. And I actually like the guy.
Nieuwendyk is the guy that is going to go to the front of the net, tip in shots, and get rebounds. He's a guy who's willing to work the corners and forecheck. He's also above average defensively. Sounds like a glue guy to me.

I have Fuhr so I get what it is like having a polarizing goalie. The one thing I do have on my side is that he got it done at the highest level. What is the case for Holecek being better than Tretiak?
The biggest thing is that Holecek was voted the best goalie at the World Championships, and was elected to the World Championships all star team more often than Tretiak. He was elected the best goalie in the World Championships five times, whereas Tretiak only won the honor 3 times. Seth Martin won it four times, but in a highly questionable era in terms of competition. The only other player(of any position) to be named the best at the World Championships five times is Fetisov at defense. He was also named to the World Championships All-Star team 5 times to Tretiak's 3. His 5 elections is the most all-time among goalies. And Bobby Hull said he was the best goalie in the world, better than Tretiak and Dryden if that means anything.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote