View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I don't think you know more than THN staff who ranked Schmidt 35 spots higher than Boucher in their 1998 list. I really can't whip up anything, other than Schmidt is universally considered a better player than Boucher just about everywhere. Milt is in Messier territory...Boucher, Forsberg.

Obviously Schmidt is behind Messier and Boucher is ahead of Forsberg, but who are you fooling trying to say Boucher>Schmidt? It's the leadership, grit, and yes - defensive conscience that seperates them. Boucher's finishes aren't even that much better anyway.
I think we, as a group, know a lot more than the THN staff who ranked Schmidt over Boucher in 1998, and frankly I can't believe you are using that list as an argument here. They also ranked Lorne Chabot 84th, Bob Gainey 86th, Mike Gartner 89th, Babe Pratt 96th and Gadsby/Nighbor 99th and 100th. It would be hard to find an all-time list that has been more thoroughly discredited than that one. What is this...ATD#3?

There is ample evidence out there that Frank Boucher was an excellent defensive center in his own right, and no, they don't look that close offensively. Schmidt's finishes are very up and down, while Boucher was consistently one of the greatest scorers in the world for a decade in an era when playmakers were handicapped by the scoring system. Schmidt is certainly grittier, but Boucher's playoff performances are on the whole somewhat more impressive. Putting them in the same tier is appropriate. LF could have easily argued that Boucher is better.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote