View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 09:26 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Thanks to winning the division, we are looking at drafting in the 22-26 range, depending on the last two rounds of the playoffs. What are the names you guys are excited around there?
There are teams that are going to jump on some forwards early and this is going to push some prominent D names down the board.

I was actually hoping Ceci would drop to us after watching him play recently. That being said he ended up 6th on Central Scouting's list which doesn't mean much given that Central Scouting is more viewed as a cheat sheet on potential names but I don't see him falling into to the 20's. I think less heralded guys like Finn, Koekkock, Pouliot, and Maata are names we may have to look at if they are the BPA according to our list.

Our Director of Scouting is going to be pushing for players with hockey sense. You're already seeing that with some of free agent signings this spring. Furthermore Rick Knickle is the guy who drafted physical players like Hartnell, Weber, Tootoo, etc. He's based out of Vancouver which means that you'll likely see us lean to the WHL on selections. Again, this is what you are seeing in our free agent list this spring.

In terms of the potential forward group. Assuming the high end talent is off the table and given that we will be selecting in the 20's I think we're into the 3rd or 4th tier group of players. Potentially a guy like Girgensons may drop but I think you can likely cross Teravinen (huge push up the rankings lately), Colberg, Aberg off the list by the time our selection comes. Gaunce is a guy who might drop but I suspect someone will jump on him and the big winger Wilson early.

What's that leave for us? Potentially one of the skilled guys (ie Aberg or as said previously Girgensons) drops to us. Personally, I think we need to be prepared for more of a two way player in a guy like Scissons, Matteau, Suter, etc. DiGuseppe is another player who plays at Michigan in the NCAA with Chris Brown. He has first line skills as well and rumor has it he wants to play out his college eligibility which means he should be available at our pick. One sleeper name that I'm going to toss out there is a player out of Seattle who isn't ranked in the first round. Brandon Trook was a standout at the CHL Top Prospects game who plays in cellar dweller Seattle. Points weren't there so but I think I'd like to see Phoenix take him in the 2nd round. Of course we have also locked into some players from Prince Albert. I believe we wanted Mark McNeil to drop to us last year and took Murphy after that failed to materialize. We took Harrison Roupp in the 3rd round and we recently signed C Justin Maylan to a AHL tryout contract for the balance of the season. Antoher C Mike Winther is in the top 25 North American skaters according to Central Scouting.

Last edited by hbk: 04-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.