View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 10:14 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
First, the player/agent and the GM do not necessarily have to be able to negotiate for the GM to offer a contract. Of course, why the hell would a GM offer a $9m/yr contract to a guy who, while he has looked outstanding, has played all of nine regular season games in the NHL since 2008? You would think the GM would at least try to low ball it a bit to begin negotiations. Also remember that Poile keeps a tight ship. When things get out it's probably because he wants them to get out. Maybe someone inside started the rumor to drive the price of a OS through the roof.

Second, if this truly was a rumor started by his Russian agent then it is clearly a move attempting to get a huge offer from a KHL team. I would like to once again state that Russia posters who would know better than us have already told us that KHL contracts are absolutely not tax-free.

FWIW, I quickly searched to see if I could compare tax rates in the United States to Russia. It looks like the high-end tax rates would be pretty similar in both countries. I don't really have time to try to teach myself anything about Russia Tax Code today, so I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if the $36m figure is accurate, but the 4yr figure is not.

Last edited by TMI: 04-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.