View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The only way you line a guy up is by firing the one you have an interviewing people.

There are a slew of qualified people. They've been discussed here many times.

The relevant period here isn't just this year. Howson made the same Mason gamble after Hitchcock's departure...so it wasn't as if there wasn't some track record of Mason's issues. To not at least get a "1B" type goalie this past off-season was a glaring mistake. But it was hardly the only one. Until the injury to Huselius Howson was quite content to roll with his forward group as-is. And, let's not forget the gaping holes on defense.

How did a roster that made the playoffs 3 years ago get to a point that it needed to have 50% of its defense replaced (and I'd argue more), 100% of its goaltending replaced and still lacked the offensive firepower to compete (finishing dead last in our division each of those three years)? There was only one GM during that time, so I think we know the answer.
All true.

Howson, like any GM, has to take calculated risks. In hind sight many of his moves are failures, but its hard for me to blast the guy, when I applauded the RJ, Vermette, and Mason contracts, like most fans did. I thought Carter would be a valuable pick up. I didn't think Wisniewski would be made into Shannahan's "example" for the rest of the league, for a hit that was no worse than x-checks you see in the front of the net in any given game.

Of course when you are a perrenial loser, you have to take a few more risks, because you don't get your first choice as head coach (Boucher), you don't get prime FA's for fair prices, instead you overpay for guys others are passing on, and your big signings pout and cry about being in the midwest on a poor team.

I'm fine with firing Howson, if I know I'm getting a better GM. This job sucks, and its going to take alot of skill, and an equal amount of luck to pull this team into the top half of the league on a consistent basis.