View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
I get it, good defensemen can be found later in the draft, but that doesn't mean you can't get a great one in the top-5 or 10.

Just look at the '08 draft... If LA, STL or even ATL(WIN) used this mentality, they would have passed up on Doughty, Pietrangelo and Bogosian respectively for what? After Stamkos(who was gone before any of these teams picked) the rest of the forwards rounding out the top-10 were Colin Wilson, Nikita Filatov, Mikkel Boedker, Josh Bailey and Cody Hodgson. While some of these forwards are decent players, none of them are on the level of the 3 defensemen I named.

How devistated do you think either of these teams would be had they used the "we can find a defenseman later" philosophy?

I guess my point is... Draft history really doesn't mean ****. Just because somebody took a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who happens to be a great defenseman, it doesn't mean the guy you are thinking about taking in the top-5 WON'T be.

For every potential Luke Schenn in the top-5(no offense, Leaf fans), there's a potential Alex Pietrangelo. For every potential Shea Weber in the 2nd round, there's a potential Matt Smaby. There really is no science to it. You take a chance on the guy you feel has the best shot, and IMO the guy with the best shot is the guy taken in the top-10.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote