View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't think Howe played with Ullman much, but Ullman was a goal scorer more than a playmaker so your point kind of stands.
i am fairly sure howe played with ullman in '57 and '58. i know they were linemates in '57. i think delvecchio may have played LW in '58.

i had this argument in my 1st ATD, and i still don't think ullman was more a goalscorer. only in '65 did ullman have more goals than assists, and ullman's career ratio of goals to assists is almost the same as sid abel's. ullman was a balanced offensive player.

ullman
490g - 739a --- .66g per assist

sid abel
189g - 283a --- .67g per assist

delvecchio
456g - 825a --- .55g per assist

abel and especially delvecchio probably got more easy assists from playing with howe and lindsay, whereas ullman more often played with role players.

ullman in '57: 16g, 36a
ullman in '58: 23g, 28a

lindsay led the NHL in assists in '57, though, and ullman trailed howe and delvecchio in assists in '58.

jean beliveau in his autobiography, writing about gretzky:
Quote:
He had great peripheral vision on the ice, and if a teammate was about to get open, he'd find him, a lot like Norm Ullman used to do.
this quote from howe also indicates ullman preferred to pass:
Quote:
"Normie always tried to move past one too many men, so he could make the perfect pass," Howe said. "Once he started to shoot, he started scoring more goals."

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote