Old
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Read my screen name.

Umm.. Yeah... Right...

Chapter done, turn the page. Hitch is a great HC. The premise that he can't coach in the new NHL has been debunked. It was a foolish statement at the time, especially with the team he took into the playoffs. The problems with this team at that time were deeper than the head coach, as we confirmed later. Howson did more than contribute to his downfall. Did Hitch hold some blame? Sure, he made his fair share of mistakes. Was a head coaching change needed? No. The problems started at the top. The responsible thing would have been to allow the next GM to decide his fate.

Yeah, there is revisionism and you contribute to it.

He's in a better place. Good for him. I look forward to the next time his team struggles and the same conversations come out again.

Now, let's talk about people that are actually with the team instead of revisiting the past.
We can go around and around about this all day and it won't change my opinion now from what it was then. I don't think keeping Hitchcock would have worked out here in the long run and I think giving Howson the opportunity to hire his own guy was fair.

In the end, what it illustrated is that Howson is not a capable GM--he can't pick coaches, he does a poor job at free agent signings (most especially his own), he does an overall poor job of managing the cap and a budget (the reason he was hired) and he is incapable of team building. The only part of his job he seems to have any ability at is trades and even that is a mixed bag (Jeff Carter).