Thread: News Article: Don't Rip Pens, or Else...
View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Crosby is immensely talentd, but I'm not sure I view him as generational. He's more in line with a Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman type. And for the record, I don't consider a guy like Messier a generational talent either.

In conclusion, I can't help but be reminded of something Michael Jordan said about the NBA once - "Too often nowadays the league tries to create stars before they've earned it." He then referenced how guys like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird created themselves.
I get your point. Orr's effect on the game was almost revolutionary. A defenseman always on the attack was unheard of before he came along. One who could lead the league in scoring? Never happened before and hasn't since. And he wasn't bad in his own end either. For my money the best player ever--and a nice guy on and off the ice. He played for a nasty team tough.

Gretzky just eclipsed every scoring record that came his way. Rewrote the record book. Maybe a spoiled brat for a while but almost always a very good spokesman for the game.

Crosby is a step ahead of Yzerman and Sakic--at least to me. It might not be a large step but he is IMO the most creative player in the game today. Maybe Erik Karlsson will pass him by though.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote